Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Late Adopter

I bought my first CD stereo in 1998 or so, and instead of going blu-ray with my tax check, now that the Dad Memorial DVD Player won't play, I hit up Teh Intarwebs and looked at both and went with the latter. I'd figured that DVD tech would be cheap, but thirty-eight clams for a brand new Sony was still surprising.

A little amusing, too: my old model player, eight years on now, still has a ticket price of $100 on it. X doesn't buy by a quick-obsolescence factor, apparently. It *was* a very nice appliance, I was sorry to have had to replace it. (I remember he apologized to me at the time, for having bought a silver component when my TV and VCR were black boxes. How dare he mismatch my system!?? ... But the new one is black.)

So at long last, Jacob's Ladder, stuck at the top of my DVD queue for - what, two months now ? - because I don't like watching discs on my laptop (for no good reason, I am aware), and lined up behind streaming Buffy, is sitting in the new box, ready to burst forth. Well, or at least trickle.

I watched this flick with Beloved Ex when VHS wasn't a joke - perhaps as much as twenty years ago, I could not even tell you. It's been a long while, and my memory of the thing is saggy. I know there's a teasing Owl Creek Bridge-ery to it, with all sorts of post-Nam angst attached as well, but apart from a blonde kid and Tim Robbins' upset-face I have almost no memory of it.

Hee. Danny Aiello plays someone named Louis? Please tell me it's not Louis Cyphre, because I would have to get the giggles. I'm also not loving seeing Eriq LaSalle's name, he tends to kind of irk me the slightest pointless bit. Ah well. A sepia wash an an inaugural mediocrity to christen the new player.

The first one got "Office Space" and "Brotherhood of the Wolf" - an interesting pair of flicks to watch on the day or two after your father has died.

No comments: