Saturday, December 9, 2017

Es Schneet



Last year's tree


I am in the path of the snowstorm, and as far as I know it hasn't stopped for about 25 hours. It's not getting deep, because it's very wet, and where I live (fortunately) it doesn't seem to be accumulating on the roads much. The ploughs, which were surprisingly frequent last night, and wigging Pen and Goss right out every time they passed, haven't been active today. Good sign, I suppose.

It is pretty, and my across-the-street neighbors have played in it a bit; I love to watch them. Little kids in snow is fun.

As for me and the resident Poobahs, we've stayed in. I have accomplished less than I'd have liked to, but the big wardrobe is back in its rightful home (no injuries to me or it), and the tree is up out of the basement. All but four stubborn screws away from having my lower cabinet doors ready to sand and spackle and paint, that's still only half of six doors actually de-hardwared. But, with further messes to make, and work on the house pending this week, there will be no regular housecleaning today. So, of what I need to accomplish, I suppose it is not so bad.

And the paid job has been productive of late. And, after this week's electrician and handyman visits, I'll have the full run of cabinets, range hood, and backsplash.

Thursday, I'll actually decorate the tree; the night we always did it as kids. I have a couple memories to enjoy while I get to that, and the couple of days' activity to anticipate. Then, a big family visit, the best part of the holidays to look forward to.

Puddy (every year)


Channumas is comin' y'all. Who's excited? Who is ready?

7 comments:

Jeff said...

Tentatively excited about seeing my family, but nowhere near ready. I'm building my sweetheart an infinity mirror, which has me up to my elbows in picture-frame inserts, mirrors, silver window tinting, squeegees, and tape-like rolls of adhesive LEDs. She knows I'm up to something in a roped-off corner of my office, but she doesn't know what.

DLM said...

Yeah, with work being in overdrive, which is NOT usual for this time of year in this gig, I am definitely not getting done all the prep I need to be doing in the kitchen. Just coming home wiped out, such that even breaking it down to baby steps isn't helping. This baby's not stepping!

Ahh, but things will get done. Presumably ...

Happy Channumas or whatever works!

Jeff said...

Hang in there! Somehow it will all get done.

We do both Hanukkah and Christmas here. Lit the candles tonight; the prayer to go along with them is really lovely...

DLM said...

Say, if you put a clock between the infinity mirrors ... would it multiply time? :)

Jeff said...

Ha! You know, even though you're joking, you've now got me thinking about this literally. I wonder if there's a way to suspend some sort of LCD clock inside one of these things? I feel like there's potential to put different things inside them for different effects. Now that my prototype is successful, we shall see...

DLM said...

Better still, get a mirror-surface LCD which can project the time from behind the glass ...

Now you've got ME dorking out on this. Clock or no clock, I do hope she will dig the gift. It's very literally thoughtful!

Jeff said...

Is there such a thing as a mirror-surface LCD clock? Heck, even a basic clock with simple, exposed moving parts reflected into infinity could look kinda cool. If these do turn into clocks, I'll share the results with you!

I think she'll like it, even though it's just an overly large (12" x 12") prototype. She's a good creative partner for this sort of thing; her suggestions will make the next one I build smaller, cooler, and more aesthetically pleasing. She's the vital presence in my year-long calendar poem, too: not always specifically mentioned, but always there...