Sunday, May 16, 2010

Searching

Okay, so the first interview I actually had, back in January, went fantabulously well, and I was a referral candidate for the position. The friend-of-a-friend I spoke with thought I was amazing - his entire response to my friend being an email with the subject line of my name, and consisting of one single word: "Wow!"

He said even to me, how powerful my resume was, and our rapport was good.


My friend's theory as to why I didn't get the offer was that his hands are a bit tied, and I was just too expensive. Unfortunate, in a way. But so it goes. I had a bit of trouble with the nature of the work (in this economy: forclosure related), and realized afterward my attitude had grown to "GET ME OUT" proportions, regarding my then-current gig. This is always a terrible context from which to make decisions like changing jobs.

Okay, so by the time I had the interview for that job I really thought looked great, I had modulated my situation at work (I'd really taken control, and actually made things a LOT better - not just for myself, but also for those I worked with too; the feedback by the time they found out they were having to do layoffs was really excellent), and was very much in a critical mode. I went to the second interview with the attitude of, "Okay. Impress me."

Well, and of course they did. I got fired the next day, they were very responsive, they took time to make the decision, and frankly I believe them when they said it was a tough decision but they had gone with someone else.

Pity them, for they did not get me.

So for all this time, even the six weeks since the layoff now, I've kept that first company off my lists of job searching. My friend had told me after the fact that the company instituted a policy one year ago, by which ALL employees receive ONE WEEK of vacation. And that it never accrues with years of service. And that this is also sick leave. And ...

... seriously!?? You wanted me to come work there!?

I haven't looked since. Even though the recruiter was crazy-go-nuts for me, and more executive-level positions were in the offing.

Yesterday, I learned that my friend had misunderstood her own company's vacation policy. "Oh, no, no - you get two weeks. And it does accrue. It was the sick days policy I was looking at." So that policy *does* actually sound more normal than indicated. They have the usual 2 weeks, plus five days sick leave, and THAT doesn't accrue.

Holy ...

I haven't looked at this place since February, based on this reportage!

Of course, now, we re-add them to the list. And consider how to contact that recruiter (who, in fact, had remembered me from my job hunt of two years ago, when I had interviewed there!) and explain my hiatus ... or just not.

And still hope that won't be the lucky company, in the end.

I'm rooting for the Communications people to get me, frankly.

But it would be so stupid to just hope for that and not keep looking and trying - dur.


So it goes ...

Wonder for how much longer ... ?

No comments: