Friday, May 21, 2010

Lolly and Friends

Sid is buddies with our next-dog neighbor, Scout, as I am with his mom. Scout has been playing host of late to a guest they're taking care of, Knuckles the pit bull. Knuckles is a sweet kid, a little younger than Scout perhaps, and good looking. He's got that brindled coat I find so beautiful, and he's one healthy, extremely happy boy. Always wagging his tail. I mean, *always*. His temperament, if a bit energetic for me, is unquestionably friendly. And he's always grining. I swear, and the mouth on this guy is so big when he does open it - which is, um, always - you can see his spleen for goodness' sake.

I don't have much prejudice against this breed, though a certain stripe of the type of person who insists on owning them doesn't impress me. Knuckles' dad appears to be capable of irony, and as I say, the dog's visibly healthy. He is glossy and beautifully cared for, anyone can see.

So the three kids have been walking together a bit this week, and they make a nice personality mix. Very very cute, at times, watching the three of them sniffing at a post together, or whatever they find to do to be dogs at us. They're pretty well behaved, and get along too. It's fun.

I was testing the boundaries yesterday, toward the end of our trek. Sid, when she was younger, didn't like me petting other dogs; but she has developed a more liberal attitude, it seems. I have often stood back from other pets, saying I am a wholly owned subsidiary. But she didn't even notice me being friendly to Knuckles yesterday. He's got the most wonderful little ears.

As we said goodbye, I gave him a thumpy pet. I like thumping Lolly; she's very barrel chested, so a nice bumping pat on her ribs gives the best, deep echo. I do often tell her she's got good thump (less frequently than I tell her she's got good stink; but that one just comes up so constantly!). Knuckles has good thump, too. But he's SOLID, this dog. As I said to Scout's mom:

It's like he's made of ... meat!


I don't want a pit bull, if I'm honest. My relatively mellow, sit-at-your-feet girl is the best of the very very best-est. She's awright.

But her friends are still fun, and I love that she has some. I swear, it is the thing that keeps her healthiest.

And happy too.

And she sure deserves that. Good old t'ing.

No comments: