Tuesday, May 18, 2010

BondDaddy

When I was little, my dad gave me a die-cast red convertible Alfa Romeo Matchbox car. (My dad was so awesome.) And he loved Bond movies. Even in Quantum, an AR opens the flick.

I think I may have gravitated to some of the guy-entertainment stuff dad liked more than my brother did. I bonded (ugh/har - sorry) with dad over spy movies and cars, where big bro took after him more in other ways (not least: his being a dad himself, whereas I skipped out on parenthood, and working with his hands, creating wonderful things). I would go with dad to see Firefox, and work on my brakes while he stood, smiling, over me - staying OUT of my way because "I can do this myself! But keep me company!" I can't do most of what my sibling can that our father taught us, or exposed us to, but some of the stuff I "took" does amuse me a little.

I never thought of myself as a tomboyish kid - labels and categories really don't seem to have had traction in our rearing. But "daddy's girl", in my case, was not a matter of frilly cuteness.

I still have the Matchbox car. And my purple Tonka Jeep, somewhere.

And a penchant for sneering at chick flicks.


Next item up for bids on my DVD-purchase list. Obviously: Quantum of Solace.

No comments: