Thursday, August 12, 2010

Histfic

One of the most frustrating things about writing in my genre is that, when it comes time to shop and query, many of the authors whose agents I'd do best with, in terms of "matching" their catalogue, are located in Europe. I know I should just query; the world is growing smaller every day, electronically. It shouldn't be an obstacle.

But something in me protests, good grief - I should be able to do this domestically.

I think to myself, intrinsically, that doesn't necessarily have any meaning. If I get an agent in the U. K. - it's still getting myself an agent, isn't it? But I do fear the translation of a contract over borders, even if not across the miles themselves. (I'm long accustomed to having miles between myself and some object of interest ... but not actual international borders. Bless the US for being such gigantic country.)

I need to be *doing* - so, if I must yoo-hoo across the pond, that is still DOING, which is what counts. And so, on we go.

Even as I mentally try to compose my sweet note to the lovely Susann Cokal, asking her whether she thinks it might be worth quering her agent, too. Given my differences from Susann, I would imagine I'd not be a hot property. But it ought to be a question worth posing ... another DO for the list.

*Sigh*

No comments: