Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Okay, Okay - Yes - I'm a Vidiot

BUT ... The vidiocity is actually beside the point. It is, in fact, only the jumping-off point.

Most of the time since I have been unemployed, if the TV gets turned on during the day at all (before the news), it's been to play DVDs, often in the background as I do some things around the house, work on the computer, what-have-you. Daytime TV generally horrifies me. But today, after seeing that mind-bending moment of Randy Quaid's cinematic glory (heh), and turning off the set altogether to go run some errands, I came back and thought I'd try again. Usually This network plays nothing but Annette Funicello movies all day - which even I, with my unbelievably low standards of filmic consumption, really just cannot handle. But sometimes, you try things. (This is the method by which I have had the joy and excitement of catching "Scream, Blackula, Scream!", some old roller-disco movie with Linda Blair, and the like.)

Being a vidiot, I'm not above broadcast lottery, is what I'm sayin'. (Won't it be great for the world when I get my Nielsen diaries ...)

Okay, so. Today's special is "The Heavenly Kid."

I remember watching this as a teenager myself, it's contemporary with my sweaty-palm/dreamy years. Lewis Smith, the "Kid" himself, was the subject of one of my squillions and squillions of adolescent crushes. (For that matter, way to age, Lew. Nice job.)

For years, James Franco has really struck me for some reason I could never figure out. It made my paltry little brain itchy and twitchy and stuff. (Franco is too young for me to find attractive; at least that is what I insist upon to my inner self.)

But two minutes of Mr. Smith on the screen, and I finally had the brain-itch scratched. Franco looks very much like Smith did in years past. The chipped-flint cheekbones and the curled up mouth.

Frankly, I wouldn't mind getting either one of 'em for Christmas. Both of them have that smile like (a) they have a wonderfully warped, deep sense of humor, and (b) they are definitely up to something. Or up FOR it. (Franco has certainly borne this out, most recently in a wildly funny turn on 30 Rock.)

Heh.



One more little brain-itch scratched for this lifetime. Stupid stuff like that makes me grin like a dork.

No comments: