Wednesday, June 16, 2010

No Work. So: Writing?

Every day so far this week, all the jobs I've found of any interest are jobs I've applied for already. Maybe my neighbor's hope that the fiscal year will make a difference is worthwhile - but of course, that's still two weeks away.

So, job slog done for the day, it's already time to work on querying.

I'm not particularly precious about my writing. One of the things I seek in an agency relationship is the sort of person who'll not only sell my work, but who can say "you need to cut down or change or do this" with what's down already. I think it's a VERY good book - I've been completely absorbed in it myself. But here's the thing: there are significant portions of this baby I simply do not recognize. They were either written so long ago they're fresh all over again, or they've had so little "work done" to edit them, they're close to untrodden territory. And it's funny, but these areas are fitting in really well. The flow, to my eye, doesn't seem jerky or uneven. The whole holds up. It's a damned good read, frankly.

But the fact that I don't recognize bits of it is symptomatic of what may be one of my best traits as a writer. I am NOT particularly precious about my work being my baby. I will not defend it from change, correction - least of all from reduction. If someone who knows their business has taken me on - if someone I've trusted enough to SIGN with - says "cut it": baby gets cut. Slash, slash, slash, alter, change. I've had readers I had to sort of pry critique out of in the past. I've had a couple who came up with fundamental suggestions. Guess who's been most useful to me. The ones afraid to "hurt my feelings" (a) don't know me very well, apparently, and (b) don't trust the process of someone ASKING for criticism.

When I ask, I'm open to change. There are sellability concerns, for one, but at the end of the day, you need a product that works OUTSIDE your own head. I love this thing.

That's just not enough.



I have no shortage of confidence in the work I have done. This doesn't translate to a refusal to believe it could be made more marketable, nor for that matter just BETTER. That I know it is good doesn't mean I think there's no possibility for improvement.

It's easy to spot the agents who will work on a piece with you, who'll work YOU a bit. I've queried several whose catalogues are varied enough to think I might fit in, and I hope my pride in the work shows, along with my willingness to work with someone more experienced than I am.

My experience gains daily, through this process. "No" isn't hurting my feelings; it's all another step in the process. I want more no's. But I've only been at this (business end, anyway) less than a year now.

If I can't find a dadgum job as fast as I would like, at least I am on the trail of finding a partner for another kind of work.


Hah. And as I type, Hanzel und Gretyl's "Hallelujah" plays. Perfectly awesome.

No comments: