Sunday, April 24, 2016

Writing From an Image

I never did find the story in this picture; perhaps because I have been focusing more on the WIP than on coming up with the verb that was necessary for this be one. Instead, here is what did come out.


***


***


THE TRUTH OF SISYPHUS


Skinless; there is no mask.

His face looks young; in his twenties, nothing more. But Sisyphus has worked his eternity already, and every lifetime ever known.

And yet ... his face. His face. Reflecting, even without the sheen of human skin - but not without the grace of features - peace. This is his job not merely because it is his punishment, but because it is *his*. Each life, like this: none other can have it. None other can live it as we can.

He has moved beyond the work, into the role, his role. If appearing creates being, the favor is abundantly returned. Naked as he is of all pretense - of even the modest mask of his own skin - he is beautiful.

Sisyphus fills his lot not in submission, but in accession to life; that this is his life, and to his life he owes himself. There is no other life to hope for - to pray for the death of this one, of what has come.


***


Only Sisyphus is free.

4 comments:

Me said...

I love the words you used and the phrasing. Your writing flows, it reads beautifully. Very, very nice. I really like it.

DLM said...

Well, Me my friend - if I decide to self-publish, I'll have a whole book's worth of it for ya ... !

You are too kind, and I'm inexpressibly grateful for the feedback. Since I've actually started getting a few comments around here, it's been a much more gratifying blog, at least for me. I really did want to find a STORY in that image, but decided the vignette was a bit interesting anyway.

Me said...

I'd read that book :) I really love the wording in the piece of Sisyphe.

DLM said...

Of course, I shall keep you posted on any decision as to self-pub. :)