Thursday, January 26, 2017

Collection

Blogger's latest Dashboard has reconfigured the view so it's impossible to see much anymore. To wit: my Reading List, which has been neglected far too long. I should have the competence to click, but it was ever so much nicer when just by logging in I could see all sorts of lovely things - like my Reading List (blogs I follow).

We'll let that openener stand as a hint to where we're mining most of this Collection post ...

It's been a while since we took a visit to Tom Williams' blog (thanks again, Blogger, for reconfiguring so I can't see my Reading List!). How about his version of the I am not an historian post? Mine was here.

American Duchess has been looking at catalogues from Simplicity, the pattern maker. Lauren has noted an intriguing point of design, in the effects of WWII on cut and style - between 1940 and 1946, the war had clear effects on aesthetic, possibly by way of resource availability. In this time, patterns in Simplicity truly became simpler.

In what I'm calling The EO-etc. blog, our author has some great Bulwer-Lytton entries, puns, and more. So enjoyable. Take a spin. Throw around a few jokes of your own!

Hey, the stock market hit 20k yesterday. People do insist upon discussing this, but what most fail to discuss is that (a) The Dow is not the stock market, and (b) the stock market is not the economy. Why that particular tidbit got buried more than halfway down this piece from NPR, on exactly this point, I do not know, but at least they put it in there at all. Most outlets seem to be content just spewing the number as if it means anything.

Hint: it does not.

2 comments:

Lilac Shoshani said...

It makes sense to me that as a writer of fiction, you'd have a different focus from that of history nerds and authors. I'm not surprised that you and Tom Williams are in agreement on this.

Thank you so much for always enlightening me and broadening my horizons! :-)

DLM said...

Oh, I'm a total history nerd! But yeah, not a professional nor credentialed one.

My brother, who is an archaeologist, argues that I really *am* an historian. But there is a sense in which he and I (children of a whole family of teachers, and perpetual students/learners ourselves) can discuss this - and then there is the sense of authority most people would imbue in the term. It's that latter I shy from; indeed, I look at those who are consecrated historians with a similar disbelief in authority. There are exact sciences, dealing in hard facts we SHOULD not (sadly, it's clear these days people do anyway) question or refute ... and there are disciplines more prone to interpretation. History is heavily bound in its "story" - lending its name to many biased retelligs.

So even if I had a degree, the term "historian" is still just problematic to me.