Friday, December 30, 2016

Collection

I haven't linked American Duchess's blog in a long time, but this week there is a DELICIOUS, detailed post about researching historical costume with a view both from the costume point of view and someone with an artistic education. Many pictures to study, and some interesting aspects of design and portraiture to consider.

"What happened during my transition from one language to another did not become memory."
"It is hard to feel in an adopted language, yet it is impossible in my native language." Yiyun Li at The New Yorker takes a keen and poignant, eloquent look at the way language works in our brains … and in our hearts … Absolutely beautiful writing and thinking, and an incredibly generous expression of personal experience that is meaningful to all of us. Please read this!

The marginalia of Marlene – Dietrich’s books and notes, again at The New Yorker. Being an inveterate marginaliist myself, this appeals to me *so* much ... and some of her commentary brings her right into the room with you as you read. Evocative!


2 comments:

Lilac Shoshani said...

Happy New Year, Diane! May 2017 bring you great success, happiness and fulfillment! I've missed you!
P.S. Yiyun Li's writing and thinking are stunning.

DLM said...

I've missed you as well, Lilac - and happy new ear to you! May 2017 be a surprise of hope for us all.