Sunday, February 10, 2013

The Wonder of Modern Technology

... although, of course, by some definitions, Craigslist is hardly the leading edge in "modern" ...

I had looked for ads on CL yesterday, encouraged to do so by some brighter bulbs than myself (people at the animal hospital and pet store), but being a noob I somehow managed to navigate exactly around the ad with Penelope's picture.  Fortunately for me, another CL member emailed me and pointed me toward it.  Then another.  This morning, someone who saw both my ad and another friend's posting on Facebook emailed me; she works at the city shelter, where Pen was taken on Friday, and gave me her personal cell number.

So many people want to see happy endings - and so many people try to reach out, to make connections, to encourage, to HELP.  And help they all did, and I am so grateful.

The shelter is closed today, of course, but having reached out directly to the woman who actually did Penelope's intake, I know I can go pick her up at 10:00 tomorrow.  After that, I don't intend to leave the house until I must, except to walk with her.  She'll probably get a bath (she'll hate it) but bless my soul, she'll be home, my baby girl.  Such an interesting bookend to such a strange vacation.



In the meantime, I have failed completely to work on my ghost story, but today the Sarcastic Broads come to my house.  They always tend to light a fire under me; and there is time before they come, too, so who knows what I might get done.

What I'm *not* getting done is the seeing of family and going to my mom's church, which had been the plan for the day.  Having not slept well since Penelope ran away, last night I was plagued by dreams of her in the shelter - and this morning I slept right on almost until ten.  Oops.  But mom will be surrounded by family, celebrating the church's 50th anniversary; not much in need of me, and probably little surprised by my absence.  I feel a little bad as I did want to see family, but certainly feel better having gotten at least some good if late-breaking sleep.  Between today and tomorrow, though I'm still on my mini vacation, there won't be much chance to catch up on sleep.

No comments: