Thursday, April 28, 2011

Balance

The recent past has brought me to the realization that I have a funny war within me - and one nobody who's known me long probably could have predicted, but some who know me well might go "ahh - huh" and nod at before going on with their own attritions.

The years of my childhood were not marked by the shining light of my ambition. I came to professional - and even, in a certain way, personal - ambition over the course of a long period, which is a strange way to be "ambitious" in the first place; and at relatively advanced age, which indicates the war for you. Growing up, and even still, my contrarian nature was resistant to all. To effort, to learning, to self-expectation, to material "reward" for concentrating and *doing*. For years, even after leaving college and entering the workforce, I was happy just to set my goal at "make a living" and stop there. I had embarked on my career as a secretary (back when it was still called that without squicking) not with interest nor consideration, but, at first, because that's what women were still, even in the 1980s, allowed to choose to expect of themselves and be done with it and, eventually, because enough years' exposure to actors taught my quite well that my early ideas of being one myself would be insufferable to me. I had "always" thought I would be a great actor - and, of course, the only reason for this was an interest in excesses of fame and finance with what I felt would be minimum requirements of me. In a world where The Dating Game launched the careers of a serial killer, multiple Hollywood starlets, and one Austrian governor of California, it seemed obvious somehow that Being Famous was the way to go.

I thank Christ nearly daily for withholding this fantasy from me.

Anyway, so I worked for a living and shifted my "ambition", for a while, to Beloved Ex - who was, you see, going to be a Huge Rock Star, and could (a) do all the work for me and (b) propel me to my own goals, in some amorphous way - when The Right person saw my face and was seduced by its glory.

Aherem.

My typing got better, my attitude was a little deeper subsumed, I figured I was paying my dues, and - in the way that I have - I didn't consider things more deeply, nor allow non-stellar aspects of life to mean very much to me.

Except that they did. They always do, of course.

So it is no accident that the period of time when I finally set a task for myself - spiritual growth of SOME kind, I didn't know what - coincided with the period in which I finally became an ambitious worker.

In the space of something like 36 months, if I remember the stats I used to brag to my mother, I something-like doubled my salary. I moved from a menial admin spot nowhere in particular to a job where I took on actual responsibilities. My manager in that role was about the best I've ever known: she spotted her team's strengths AND iterests, and played to them in our jobs. She had me writing a newsletter. She put me togehter with our IT guy, and I became the person to turn to when he wasn't available. She put me in front of clients.

I was putting out 72 issues at top circulation, keeping everyone on deadline, writing and editing for our president, and filling eight pages every single month. I learned thirteen softwares in the space of a single year. I was customer service for our orphan clients, those without agents for whatever reason.

And somehow - I still genuinely have no idea how it happened - for the first time in my life, I Got Seen. It wasn't by a Hollywood agent (it was, unfortunately, actually by a guy with the worst managerial record I have ever encountered), but it may have been the most important thing that ever happened in my career. I heard the famous code, "Do you know anyone who would be interested in such-and-such-fancy-well-paid-position" and ended up taking the job.

That I stayed in it less than six months - and the employer was making the cover of the WSJ in the worst possible manner the MONTH I left the place - goes beside the point. I found a way to move up. I discovered how much I enjoyed making a great professional impression. I took a job I fully, outright OWNED, and learned more sophisticated relationship management and higher-level administrative skills. I still completely adore the boss I had then, and his totally delightful wife. He will never, ever know how grateful I am to this day for having come to work for him.

September 11 came, and I went eight months without a job. Finally, I got one - temping. And moved up. And moved up again. And moved up AGAIN.

In the seven or so years after my separation from Beloved Ex, I poured on the coal. I pushed my income from $12 an hour, to $34k a year, to $40 in just one year. For my next trick, I nabbed a boss in the position to give bonuses. And he did. This, after I stepped on his FOOT walking out of the interview. Another man whose willingness to hire me was such a blessing, and one I've advertised without stint to his next assistant as the finest stripe of human she could ever hope to work for.

The next job was, for me, the first time since 1994 I encountered absolute frustration professionally. The company who last employed me still maintains a culture in which it is not merely inconceiveable, but very much discouraged, to be simultaneously intelligent and an admin. I was wrong for them, and boy were they wrong for me.

And these days - as we know - I have to force myself to grow smarter every day, to keep up with my position. I love it, and am fulfilled and stupidly fortunate, exceedingly happy.

Ambition is a growing thing.


***


And that brings me to the war I have roiling.

I say it was no accident this part of myself developed and thrived just as I was seeking spiritual growth ...

And yet.

The later lesson has been the reverse of all those my career has been at pains to teach me.

As I matured as an administrator, I learned how important it is to control and to play and plan for variables. I have taken pride in ... taking pride. I have fought hard to become the competent and CONFIDENT woman who, just today, threw out one brilliant innovation for our process flow this morning, then topped it off with a luncheon in which I threw in my two cents or so in a group meeting with a Senior VP.

These things are important.

And so I have lost the value of a more Taoist side of life - an outlook not actually at odds with my work and my strength of personality, but one which is, at least apparently - and certainly in its practice - antithetical to it.

It would be poor plotting to return to the underachiever I was when I was younger.

But that girl did have a few things, mentally, going for her. And those things are spiritual. That aspect of my self which doesn't pay the mortgage, but pets the dog and reassures her. The surrender to wei wu wei - "do not do" - the priority which uses the power of acceptance and peace, not to push through life, but to love what it IS in its most important essence, and to recognize how what IS is a blessing, and how striving for what ISN'T can be such a curse.

Big brother ... I can't remember which of us learned the concept as wu wei, and which as wei wu wei. My memory is that I learned it two-word, and you and I discussed the implications and importance of making it three ...

The short blah-dee-blah here is: my life of late has been a lesson in "leave it in the laps of the gods" - as Freddie Mercury has put it. Or, as my current boss has written on my whiteboard (have I mentioned I need to get smarter EVERY day? it's because I work for this genius - ugh!), introito ad altare dei.

Love that guy. Heh.

LET GO.

With my heart four thousand miles away, with the novel in a state of indecision, with comfort all around me but uncertainties abounding - as life likes to offer them - with, frankly, my overweening pride in myself and expectations of What I Deserve, it ain't easy shutting up and not trying to manipulate certain things to suit my preferences.

To just shut up.

To *trust*.

To put anything before myself.

To look at what is missing, and realize what it IS, and feel blessed and grateful, instead of seeing only what is not ...


***


It feels as if the war is abating.



Peace be with you, too. With or without cutthroat ambition!

3 comments:

Mojourner said...

That was way wu, way.
Wish I could remember the implication of the 3-word version (something to do with palindromism and balance?), but what I can offer is that maybe you are not so manipulating, not so attached to ambition as you fear. I tend to go with the flow (so much that it does not even embarrass me to use that phrase), with occasional bouts of fighting upstream for no particular reason, and can tell the difference. Sometimes, the ambitious move is not not letting go, but lending a nudge to the flow, tossing in your 2 cents at just the right time. No shame in that.
Being smart or effective and wanting to garner some credit for that is not the same as lusting for fame or its coat-tails. I think you are farther along than you admit.

DLM said...

I remembered it after posting: I had learned wu wei - the tenet saying "not do" ... You told me you had learned it as wei wu wei: "do not do" which changed a passive tenet into a moral command, something that ironically turned it into a thing to (not ...) do.

I think in my heart of hearts, I still seek the two-word tenet for myself. To let go, to release, to cede control.

To understand, rather than urging that I should be understood. That is the hardest.

I don't fear my ruge toward control, and my ambition I prize, though I try not to take "pride" in it in the negative sense unlike the pride we learned from dad. I am blessed by the power my being born where and when I was has given me: just a few minutes ago, mom and I were celebrating the fact that in two months, I will have paid off one third of my mortgage. Name the woman in any previous generation of our blood who's been given the confidence and control to be able to do that ...

What I fight against is taking that confidence and bringing it too much into my relationships - succumbing to my need to be understood, to my aching desire for control. You know as well as I do, there are things I don't get to dictate. That fight, I know you and mom find a very bad thing. But the challenges of the man I chose eight years ago to love have rendered me the woman I am, and so much of the growth and the best in what I am, is born of the challenges choosing him has set me. Even in that, I fight my desire for you and for mom to understand me, to stop being "concerned" about what I have found one of the most consistent blessings and sources of growth in my life. I have been working most of late on letting go of what I want, not only geographically, but for that ego that protests "does nobody see what I really am?" and even this post is self indulgence I am somewhat at war with. I want to move from "not doing" to really, honestly letting go. Hollering about how great my life is won't change how much I love, nor am loved, but it does steal my focus from the joy those things should be in themselves, unmanipulated ...

No shame. But balance. Indulging impulse and power where it is best and most effective. And indulging my passivity where IT is actually powerful.

DLM said...

There is a funny thing, reading this post again years later. I no longer work for that genius, and in fact he's the guy who stole a significant bonus out of my pocket (100% earned out; but clawed back anyway, to even that-employer's HR's chagrin). Note to managers in this world: if you need to steal earned money out of the pocket of the lowest paid member of your team when she gives you notice, your budget-making skills may be poor. Either that or you're a punishing tool, and she's better off without you regardless of your pettiness.

Not for nothing did I nudge my flow, as Mojourner suggested above - and ended up EVEN happier, and in a better place. Worth the loss of that bonus, and then some.