Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Collection

I failed to specify in my last writing post, that Elise Goldsmith (E. M. Goldsmith at Janet Reid's blog) was responsible for my WIP awakening. Janet liked my thanks to her (see the end of this post for a shark's warm heart). And so, again: my public thanks to EMG, as we sometimes call her, for inspiration.

2016 ... BCE. Here is a really interesting piece about historical fiction - on a Bollywood film taking liberties with the (hi)story of  Mohenjo Daro, one of the first cities in the world. "(T)hrow(ing) the authentic setting to the winds in favour of a better story" ... where does suspension of disbelief end and the Flood Myth begin?

On Rodrigo Duterte, who has so famously called our president an SOB. As bad as our candidates are, even Trump has never said anything (publicly) as vile as this.

(H)e recalled how a 36-year-old Australian missionary was taken hostage, raped and murdered, and how he reacted when he saw her body.
“She looks like a beautiful American actress,” he said. “What a waste. They lined up and raped her. I was angry because she was raped. That’s one thing. But she was so beautiful. The mayor should have been first.”
The crowd erupted with laughter.

Any questions on the existence of rape culture, worldwide, even at the highest levels? Whatever your feelings on President Obama, if you cheer about this sadistic, misogynistic Hat of Assness calling him names - now you know a little bit more about the source.

Another note for my kale-obsessed fellow Reiders: "It's a good idea to eat kale." Knowing that there are diabetes and retinitis pigmentosa in my family tree, and once having had perfect eyesight, the degeneration in my eyesight with age has been especially frustrating. Just today, I forgot to pack glasses in my Daily Bag O' Stuff, and though I *could* still read and function, it was much more difficult. So, marigolds, kale - get your lutein, zeaxanthin and meso-zeaxanthin.

And, finally - The Meadow Party is back. Beloved Bloom County, spiritual context, new hope, and pre-prequels. By the way, am I the only one who's noticed how much Donald Trump's hair resembles that of Quiche Lorraine? In fact, this article contains Berke Breathed's thoughts on current politics; and his look at the push/pull of absurdity is one of the best analyses of coverage I've read.

It’s comforting when the smart ass is confused, too.

2 comments:

E.M. Goldsmith said...

Hi Diane, I tried to comment earlier but my blasted computer would not let me. I am hoping my work machine will be less unforgiving.

Thank you so much for your kind words. That means a lot to me. Also, as a rape survivor, that whole issue makes my skin crawl. My cousin, Elizabeth Musser, who lives in France works with a missionary group that rescues women from the sex trade industry. She is a successful writer, but her previous work is almost all under a narrow genre of "Christian fiction". She wrote a book about how rampant this industry has become and was rejected by her editors because "the subject matter is wrong for her readers." Her agent is helping her change genres to historical fiction which is closer to what she does anyhow.

Anyhow, I have my eye on you. I see a lot of passion in your stuff so far and that speaks well of what you write.

DLM said...

Oh, Elise. That means the world to *me*. I just went to Google your cousin, and her site is blocked as a religion site. Sigh. I have heard of her, now I must make a point of adding her to my TBR pile.

Of course, I await your work - it must be a Reider pastime, waiting for each other's works.

Thank you so much for coming by. I'll try to be good if you've got your eye on me!