Thursday, September 27, 2012

Baked

Today I managed the United Way bake sale for my location.  For the first three hours or so, only one volunteer worked with me, but she was great and we took care of everything fine.  Sales were good, and we had a pretty huge variety of goodies to sell.  By the end, we had sold all but a very few items, and the tally of  donations was nothing I was ashamed to report for the event.

Cute Shoes helped out, too, and that was great.  She would make a great carnival barker - hee.  A hard sell, but friendly - and that's the way a charity bake sale should be run.  She's also just good company, so during a lull or two we poked away on our laptops and were able to spend a little time organizing, being encouraging about the progress, and getting along.

My back's been low-grade irritating me for a couple of weeks now, but at the end of the sale I was putting a chair away and heard the meat-grinding sound of a bad twist.  I couldn't stand back up straight for a few seconds, and was slow for the rest of the day (one of our security guards told me later she had seen me on the security cameras looking pretty bad - haha, thanks for the help!).  The idea to leave somewhat early to go ice the injury didn't work out quite as planned, between a massive traffic pileup (source for which was impossible to perceive by the time I passed through at last) and an unfortunate necessity to stop for something for dinner (pineapple upside-down cake wasn't on, heh).  But I'm here now, working on using up side 2 of the second large icepack in the freezer.  Bedtime, I expect, will be early tonight - and tonight is the night I don't have to end at 6:00 a.m. either.  So tomorrow, it's back to the office at last, for a normal Friday not to be spent waiting on a car, working from home.  It'll be pretty nice to get back to an ordinary Friday's work.

In the meantime, having had a proper supper - that pineapple upside-down cake is not half bad.

No comments: