Saturday, May 22, 2010

Best Of

Today was just a delightful bunch of fun with my mom. We hit an estate sale, where I got four mint condition hardbacks for $2.80 - Follett's follow up to "Pillars", a histfic about Pompeii by one of the authors I've researched, a compilation of five complete Agatha Christies, and goodness I can't even be troubled to get up and go to the kitchen to check what the fourth was and bore the world with full details. I also bought an ergonomically correct snow shovel for three bucks. WOO!

Then we went to the local colorful shopping district (home of the nicest, most high-end Goodwill store you have ever seen; and all of them are pretty nice around here), where I wanted to find a good blazer for use with some excellent interview-caliber slacks I have in stock. No luck, actually, on the blazer, but we did find a great suit - winter weight wool, natch - which my mom, and our freshly minted store-buddies from the dressing rooms, insisted I must get regardless of season. It *is* pretty fab. And it ended up being $15.

For a suit that probably started life at at least $90, that ain't too bad, and it scarcely looks worn at all. Here's hoping, by the time it comes back in season, I will no longer be wanting it for interviews. *Smirk*

We went to the wonderful home of the best potato salad in town, and mom had an enjoyable bite and I had a Coke. We hit one of the cute artsy stuff stores, and Ten Thousand Villages too, where mom was lovely and bought us matching bangles (they're actually much lighter, less bold colors in person; very dainty and pretty).

Total girls' day out, and we had a good time.

My mom is awful nice. She's also kind of a stitch to hang out with!

No comments: