Sunday, May 9, 2010

E-nough (this is nothing electronical, kiddies)

I have spent this whole year feeling ugly and guilty inside for reasons mostly external to my own actions. Today I am wretched at a ruined Mother's Day dinner which culminated in political self-righteousness, and my stepfather almost driving away from my home in anger WITHOUT MY MOTHER (in, not for nothing, her own car).

I would NEVER have done this in their home. Never. I have countless times found ways to opt out of participation in other people's politics, when this happens in other places. I have the right to insist up on not having political opinionating in my home, and certainly during the conduct of a celebration with more than just family present.

People in general have the right not to have partisan politics insistently served to then in social situations. Period. There is ample reason it is considered poor manners to discuss these things in company other than the most intimate - and sometimes, even then.

But, at the end of the day: my mother had a right to better behavior from everyone.

And so. Ugly and guilty inside. And nowhere to take the feelings. Nothing to do with them.


Having the right to my home, and to the pleasantness of a party I worked very hard to make pleasing for *everyone* who came makes no difference. The party ended appallingly. And I helped to ruin my mother's Day.

To her, I will offer apologies.

From anyone else, I know far better than to expect any from someone who places self-righteousness above harmony on someone else's celebratory (family) day.



*Sigh*

No comments: