Sunday, June 6, 2010

For the Birds (or the Love of Pete ...)

I had problems a few years ago, finding grackles inside my house. There was a problem with the facing behind my gutters, and more than once I had to practice search-and-rescue inside my bedroom (etc.).

About a year ago, the situation was remediated, but apparently there has been either a new breach or one particularly enterprising little wren has found a REALLY good hiding place for her eggs.

*Sigh*

So, yeah. One bird yesterday, then another this morning - in weather this hot, even opening bedroom windows for a few minutes at a time is exhaustingly wilting, to wrangle tiny wild avians after church. So having to do it not FIFTEEN MINUTES after the first one kindly landed in a pot - and then watching the dang little thing go UNDER the bedroom door (closed) to end up peeping downstairs, in a violent faceoff with a huskabull, was not "in my happy place" to sneer at a phrase.

The best part is, after today's first chicklet obliged me so nicely (I held the plant out the window, it flew away happily), the second one is STILL somewhere in the house. I never could catch the thing - and Siddy La, somehow, apparently remains none the wiser (the bird, overall, is remaining *fairly* quiet). It's somewhere in my office, but has refused to be caught, and - four-day-old headache still in force - I just can't stand to find it by dint of killing the poor thing.

This means it will possibly simply starve to death in situ. Wherever situ turns out to be.

As long as Sid doesn't repeat the performance she gave my mom before I came home, wherein mom found the remains of a bird when she went to pick up after the dog ... (Um. Ew.)

I am a kindhearted woman, and take spiders - and birds - outside when they get in. But they have to work with me a *little*, or I can't bear to scare them right to death.


***


It's supposed to be bad luck when birds get in the house. Granny said so.

I have far more experience with in-house birds, other than cute little yellow ones, than seems superstitiously prudent.

Gah.

No comments: