Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Off It

The story I chose to tell, in Ax, was one I chose - beyond compelling fascination with Clovis I - partially because it has not been done to death.  The truth is, it hasn't been done at all in American publishing; and the fact is, that mystifies me.

And yet ...

When I encountered someone recently online, whose own main characters is a seriously important one in Clovis' own life:  I can admit, my initial response was one of irrational jealousy.  He seems a nice guy.  I'm not a total emotional basket case over my story.  And it's possible I could even come to enjoy finding a neighbor in my little backwater space.

Plus, he didn't put Clovis front and center.  So I don't have to be *too* jealous.  Right?  Heh.

I've been struck by how funny a sensation  it is, though.  You think you are alone - and suddenly the solitude is broken, the illusion gone.

And isn't that why we write at all?  Composition:  co, to be together, position, to put yourself there.  I didn't want to tell this story because it could interest nobody else.  And I didn't want to tell it only to myself.

Kind of cool.  Kind of scary.  Just like the rest of writing.

No comments: