Monday, June 13, 2011

Perfect Day

If you're the type to go for sunshine, low humidity, and mid-80s summer days when thinking of perfect weather, today was the day for you. Even late into the morning, it was only 75; a marvelously comfortable day.

Except from the neck up.

The problem with dazzling, beautiful weather - particularly dazzling, beautiful weather coming on the heels of either exceedingly cold and wet weather, or very hot, humid weather, is that the barometric change in pressure causes a similar radical shift inside one's head. I know of three people in my department alone who had migraines when the weather improved like this.

Obviously, I was one of them. Ah well.

I got little sleep last night, so did that thing where instead of resorting to a full on sick day, I call in late (well, email anyway), and then I rolled over for an hour or two.

Or, well, three and a half. I ended up sleeping from 6:10 to ten o'clock; I wasn't in the office until eleven.


One of the actual listed symptoms of migraine is that some sufferers may enjoy a post-migraine recovery relief so pronounced it almost equates to euphoria. I've had this with some of the worst headaches I've had; it hardly makes migraine worth suffering, but it is at least a pleasing payback once one does go away. Recompense.

Today, at least so far, no recompense. I downshifted from the full-on migraine just down to an ordinary, dull headache - and still a pretty bad one, at that.

Tomorrow may bring the joyous improvement, but once a headache is long enough, even just 'better' is enough relief for the joy of gratitude - even without the symptomatic euphoria. However it goes - weather-wise, relief-wise - I have to say, I am looking forward to it.

No comments: