Sunday, June 5, 2011

Kindness

My family and friends have been so kind to me this weekend, almost as if something had happened to *me*. It makes me feel a little guilty; but I'm grateful, too, that there are those who care so much about me they circle wagons even though the only thing I have to suffer is the impotent frustration of fear for someone with an actual (potential) problem.

When I tell them tomorrow, I think my two New Best Friends at work will show the same concern for me. B and L are, of all the people I've been blessed to work with, among the ones I feel luckiest to be on a team with. L helped push me through the day last week, when I was worrying about TEO; and B at times reminds me of TEO, or of my aunt. Both of them are exceptionally generous and appealing, and we've all been bonding over the past few months. L is our communications goddess, and last week sent a doc to ME with "please approve" for a subject line - which, first of all: hee - and, second of all: what a compliment! (If only she were a literary agent ...)

This is to say, after randomly crying here and there through the weekend, I actually almost look forward to the work week at this point.



Last night, I worked a volunteer event; it was the perfect way for me to get out of the house. I found myself schmoozing up silent auction items with people who had come to the party. And the thing was held at the campus of my previous employer's executive location. Though few actual executives from that company appeared to bother being at the soiree on their own site, I did see security and one of the caterers I'd known there. It was a pleasure being able to say hello and tell them how much better suited I am to the new gig. It was a challenge mingling, socializing, and selling a bit, focusing on a clear task, and the people. It was a pleasure, afterward, breaking off with the volunteers and enjoying a nice bite to eat, late into the night. It was an excellent distraction.

Tomorrow, I just work.

Also, one hopes: an excellent distraction.

No comments: