Friday, March 1, 2013

Poor Spelling

My ex husband and I used to argue about the importance of spelling.  After our divorce, he emailed me way-back-when to give me the news he'd graduated magna cum laude in Enlgish.  I dam near died.  Laughing.  We're friends, and I love him very much - but there are reasons we are divorced!

Any way, spelling does in fact matter.  We judge others by their presentation, and communication is nothing else.  More to the point - language is a tool!  Used improperly, even excellent tools can cause injury.

Or a loss of sales.  For instance ...  eBay sellers:  spelling actually is important.  If I want to find your items for sale, I won't be able to if you don't bother speaking the language coherently.  Well, typing it.

A sampling:


60ies and 70ies
sequence (for sequins)
burgandy
brooche
marchasite
cordoroy
suade
patient leather (are shoes made of this as comfortable as they sound???)
whasen't

Ed. to add - 03/04/2013 - one of the queens on RuPaul's Drag Race almost got into an argument with production staff over using a lyric about a "sequence" dress.  SIGH.

1 comment:

Mo said...

When I wear suade, I feel sauve.