Saturday, November 19, 2011

Proportionate Pages

Yesterday, I ploughed through 25 pages of the MSS in my revisions.  It sounds all very well - but this isn't *writing*, it's editing.  So perhaps I could be moving faster.  It's not that there's any sort of RDA minimum on revision.  At the rate of 25 pages in a day, if I actually put that much energy in every day (which - with ten hour days and an actual life to be maintained - unfortunately isn't going to happen) I'd have the whole manuscript edited inside of a month.  No, the fear I have is that I am going deeper than revision and more into rewrite.

Which, given the work I need to do - maybe not a bad thing.  I don't know.

Being Miss Pragmatism 2011, though, I want to approach this work carefully, and somehow that seems to indicate not getting too deep in it all over again.  This instinct may be dead wrong.  I may also be full of horsefeathers, on the point of my self-vaunted objectivity.  Getting my hands a little dirty, getting into the guts, may be what the doctor ordered.  (I do, after all, keep calling this work "surgery" ...)

We shall see.

Whatever the case, the work itself overall feels *good*.

And so I shall shut up here, and get back to it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To me it's part of the writing 'job' / process so is still considered 'writing.'
but maybe just me. ;)

Sure seems like we are told over and over that it's the most critical crucial part of the writing.
And that it's supposed to be hard work?

Good luck with it.