Friday, January 7, 2011

Writing Groups

I have two levels of writing groups, the Big One and the Intimate One. James River Writers is of course a thoroughly amazing group; responsible for the foundation of my education, stoker of my enthusiasm, font of one of those "scenes" I *do* feel very much part of, and annual squee-fest for the Conference. The SBC is smaller; newer; and "mine" in another way than JRW is. JRW inspired me. But in the Sarcastic Broads Club, the inspiration is exchanged and more intimately personal.

We're new, and we're only getting ready for our second meeting, but I'm a little girlishly excited to have a club of my own ... and tickled, too, at the way group-ish-ness lights my authorial fire.

I almost wrote professional writer instead of author up there, to indicate the inclusion of all the publishing work "writing" necessitates. It seems to me, though, the august title of author includes that implicitly.

Boy howdy, language is neat stuff.


***


Randomly, I smile and think of the woman today (someone whose mode of expression I respect) who told me she expands her vocabulary reading my emails.

And of my old friend the Frenchman, from my last job, who gave me a sterling compliment indeed: he said I speak English like a European.

He didn't need to explain that, nor that it was a very deep piece of praise. Exceptionally nice.

No comments: