Friday, November 12, 2010

Vacationette

Yesterday was a day off, and I took today, with some ideas as to how to spend a four day weekend. The first idea was to wander antique shops and find myself a chair, to sit in place of the one I inherited from my grandmother, too long since now in the not-very-cosmetic mask of a poorly fitting slipcover. I can't afford to reupholster this piece properly right now - and if it should be done, it should be done properly - and so I had the idea to indulge myself in the long held girly fantasy of buying myself a chaise longue.

As luck would have it, I bought one on Wednesday night. I'd seen it in the shop near my work on Tuesday, and thought that it was probably too blue for me. But looking at it Wednesday, I realized I wanted the little beauty.

As it turns out, the fear that it was too blue (to go with my extremely turquoise *green* mantelpiece) was totally unfounded - and now I have myself a Queen's Chair. It represents for me a sort of final giving-up on worrying about decorating to accommodate a man whom I don't expect ever to be physically part of my life again; it's entirely feminine, a piece all for me. For MY house. For MY taste. It's a giving-up in one way, but entirely an indulgence too.

I have realized, one of my favorite things about this chair is unexpected. The way it sits right now, it faces the first painting I ever got from my youngest niece. Big green smiling face, with smeary bright eyes and almost vestigial watercolor arms and body. Nothing of its body matters but the happy big green head, the undeniable, ineffably joyous smile, and the eyes, which are red and fiery yellow. It's a big picture, and wonderful. It's good to have a chair that sits just where I can relax and contemplate it.

I may not have a partner. But I am loved immensely, and I have a family who are incalculably wonderful. There are blessings.


***


Well, the lawn is only half mowed. Must get to the rest of that. November ... and I'm sweating in the sun, mowing the grass! Fabulous!

No comments: